Monday, January 22, 2007

Switching Anti-Depressants - Update



I went back to the dope doctor on Friday and she proposed that we get me off the Effexor and onto the much more baby friendly Zoloft. The doc also recommended 2000 mcg of Omega-3 to enhance the effect of the meds (I will do a separate post on this later - it's actually quite interesting stuff).

Apparently Effexor has significant withdrawl symptoms - how would I know, I've been on it for nearly 10 years. These sides effects would be experienced by the newborn, which is why this is not a good drug for pregnant or nursing moms.

"Wyeth-Ayerst, the manufacturer of effexor and effexor xr, did a survey of all the patients in the clinical trial's testing program. According to their method of counting, 35% of the Effexor patients experienced withdrawal symptoms ranging from a flu-like syndrome to insomnia, nausea, nervousness, and loss of energy. Also, from the FDA medical products reporting program, the list of withdrawal symptoms from effexor include:

agitation, anorexia, anxiety, confusion, coordination impaired, diarrhea, dizziness, dry mouth, dysphoric mood, fasciculation, fatigue, headaches, hypomania, insomnia, nausea, nervousness, nightmares, sensory disturbances (including shock-like electrical sensations), somnolence, sweating, tremor, vertigo, and vomiting. "

As we ween me off the Effexor ever so slowly I will also be ramping up on the Zoloft. I took Zoloft in the early 90's but eventually switched to Effexor to better address my anxiety.

So now I am swapping the devil I know for the devil I use to know.

4 comments:

Carol said...

doesn't sound like very much fun, but it's for a good cause. Hope the transition isn't too rough on you.

Sparkle said...

Scanning through those withdrawal symptoms - some are alot like early pregnancy - maybe good practise?
Hope everything goes well, good plan getting yourself ready.

Stacie said...

I just love Zoloft. It was the miracle drug. Wonderful, wonderful stuff. I hope your transition isn't too difficult and that it is as marvelous for you as it was for me.

Anonymous said...

Jade - I hope your transition off of effexor is going well. I was on effexor for about 10 months a few years ago. I had a horrible time getting off of it. Whatever reduction schedule the dr has you on - do it twice or three times as slowly. I had horrible migraines. I hope you're doing well