Thursday, January 11, 2007

Seeking Mental Wellness

Yesterday I went to see my new Psychopharmocologist. Her specialty is pregnancy and post-partum. I had a sneaking suspicion I was in the right place when I spotted a picture of newborn twins in the lobby who shared a similar last name to my new psychiatrist.

It turns out that she is around my age (give or take) and pursued surrogacy for her son and IVF for her recent twins - so she gets it - the whole journey.

We spent 1 1/2 hours discussing my personal history, the last year with infertility and menopause and my experiences on and off hormones and related depression episode. We will be meeting again the end of next week after she is able to review my files from my previous psychiatrist to come up with a course of action.

Her preliminary recommendation: I am not a candidate for going off the SSRI depressants during pregancy. We should consider trying to move me on to a class 1 drug where more research exists as to effect on pregancy (like zoloft). She thinks that the toughest time for me (vis a vie mental state) will be while I am on Lupron pre-pregnancy (assuming that my RE decides that I need to be suppressed) and she is not concerned that the progesterone suppositories will cause any emotional side effects.

So this all feels like a relief. The only anxiety trigger in my meeting with her was her comment about her own pregnancy - she was on bedrest from 24 weeks on and she said she does not recommend it for anyone, meaning that having twins is not a great way to go given what it can do to you. Oy oy oy.

Now, let's get that goddamn donor confirmed!!! onward!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're making good progress!

Anonymous said...

Just found you via Carol and I love the title of your blog!

Good Luck to you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. Sounds like we're going through (or about to go through) the same thing egg donationwise. Luckily my clinic had a donor who looks a bit like me who lives in our city so we don't have the same stresses of finding a donor, but I wish you luck! Hope you find a donor soon!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. Sounds like we're going through (or about to go through) the same thing egg donationwise. Luckily my clinic had a donor who looks a bit like me who lives in our city so we don't have the same stresses of finding a donor, but I wish you luck! Hope you find a donor soon!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. Sounds like we're going through (or about to go through) the same thing egg donationwise. Luckily my clinic had a donor who looks a bit like me who lives in our city so we don't have the same stresses of finding a donor, but I wish you luck! Hope you find a donor soon!!!