Thursday, January 04, 2007

I Need More Worry Beads


I never seem to have enough Worry Beads - I am always looking for new ways to worry about things that I can do nothing about in real time.

New worries:
1. Progesterone will make me suicidally depressed.
Given my bad performance on HRT that included progesterone (in contrast to my performance just on estrogen (vivelle patch) I am very worried about taking prometrium as part of the DE IVF treatment. I mentioned in a previous post that I am seeing a psycho pharmacologist next week and plan to discuss this with her. In the meantime I printed out all the prescribing info and have been studying the differences in molecular structure of prometrium and FemHRT (like I know what I am looking at with my BA in political science - nuts I know).

2. FDA Has Strict Requirements for Screening Tissue Donations.
The FDA 2 years ago issued some very stringent standards on tissue donation. Donors have to have a battery of tests before being cleared. B* hasn't had his tests done yet and is now in Australia. He plans to go next week and get all the bloodwork done but based on my examination of the regulations and guidelines I don't think that an Australian lab will be considered valid in the states. Now granted that we won't be collecting the sample until he is back this may not be a big deal. But it is something else for me to worry about.

3. Donor 124 is in Africa until February
We can't reach donor #124 because she is in Africa for the month. Although she has expressed interest in working with us we haven't confirmed and will probably not be able to until she is back from her trip. I just hope she doesn't decide that she is too busy studying for the MCAT to go through with this. The DE coordinator assured me that we have plenty of time to find someone else if this doesn't work out. Just another unknown to worry about.


see for yourself and let me know what you think:
DONOR TESTING: GENERAL (§ 1271.80)
A. Who may perform donor testing?
Required testing must be performed by a laboratory: (1) certified to perform such testing on human specimens under the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments of 1988 (42 U.S.C. 263a) and 42 CFR part 493; or (2) meeting equivalent requirements as determined by CMS in accordance with those provisions (§ 1271.80(c)). Examples of the latter include Veterans Administration hospital laboratories, laboratories in states that have received exemptions from CMS, and laboratories that have been accredited by organizations approved by CMS.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unanswered questions suck.

Didn't have a problem on the prometrium but I was a crazy bitch on clomid. I wrote myself a letter, one that I left at work taped to my desk, the other on the fridge at home. The letters basically were to try and remind myself that this is a psychological side effect of the drugs I was taking. Mostly it was to try and get my logical side thinking more and not let my emotions run away with me. Can't tell you how much it really worked but I got through it.

I also tend to believe that if you know you may have an emotional side-effect and prepare yourself for it, it won't be as bad as it would have been if you didn't. So that sentence may not have made the most sense, hope you get what I am trying to say.

Summer said...

With all that legalese, it's hard to tell if results from an Australian lab will be ok. Is there anyone you can call to ask about this?

I like Inglewood's idea of putting reminders that it's the drugs and not you. It certainly can't hurt and it might just help.

Jade said...

I've asked my RE for a determination on the Australian lab issue - I sent the reg language to the donor coordinator and she has asked my doc for a determination. just something to fret about I suppose.

Yes, writing myself notes might work - good cognitive therapy approach. I'm not clear on whether I have to go on Lupron given my current menopausal state but I could always spontaneously ovulate I guess. Apparently the prometrium is administered vaginally (you may already know this) and I am hoping this means that there would be less f-ing up of the rest of my system.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, all the regs on the donor issues are insane. We have a known donor and we still had to have all the crazy testing.

I hope things work your with your chosen donor. The waiting is the worst part of all of this.

Susie said...

HI Jade,

If you need some recommendations for clinics here in Sydney, I am happy to provide