Monday, January 08, 2007

Children of Men

If you are an infertile this movie hits close to home. Children of Men takes place 20 years in the future - there are no babies and civilization is grinding to a hault. The playgrounds are empty and the elementary schools are abandoned buildings.

The movie (and the book) suggests that without children, there is no hope and no future - no purpose. Quite a powerful message particularly for someone dealing with infertility.

The film has left me feeling unsettled with questions that I can't really answer.

Do we all need to procreate to perpetuate civilization?

Have I been chosen not to perpetuate my gene pool as part of some larger master plan?

Do children represent the hope of a better future?

What kind of society will our children inherit, and is that something they deserve to be thrust into?

4 comments:

Summer said...

I'm glad to see you post about this movie. Been thinking about seeing it, but I didn't know if I should. Do you recommend seeing it?

Anonymous said...

I think having children is mostly an emotional, rather than a rational, decision. Probably if people thought about it completely rationally there would be far more childless couples around... Society, as a whole, could decide what genetic material is "worthy" of being passed on and then just those people would have children... OK, now I've really gotten carried away. Anyway, there's a lot to be said for emotional decisions :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm a bit scared to see this one. I think I'll wait until my emotions are in a better place!

Thalia said...

The interesting thing about this film is that it obfuscates the reason for the infertility. In the book the reason is given as male factor, but in the film this isn't mentioned. Too controversial?