Wednesday, January 17, 2007

BIG QUESTION: Should I Change Clinics?


The BIG QUESTION - should I change clinics?


As I have mentioned, my RE's office currenlty does not have a donor for me - this thing with Utah is turning into a complete failure for them, and there are three other couples ready to cycle now and they don't have donors for them. Not good.


My options: There is a very large and very well known clinic in DC Metro Area that has a stellar reputation and an active donor pool.


Downside: it is a large clinic - not small and personal like the one I have been going to.


Upside: Large donor pool, less expensive (about 4k less) and they have a shared risk program.


I just called a friend of mine who opted for my current RE over this Large Clinic and she said that if it's cheaper it's worth checking out. She has a friend who went there and was really pleased with the service and now has 2 little tots.


This could delay the process - or not, given that my clinic has such a small pool who knows how long it will take. Yesterday the donor coordinator gave me the names of two donor egg agencies - but going that route will cost an additional $6k bringing the total up to $30,000 - which is a very unappealing option at the moment.


This is just not easy... any advice?

4 comments:

Inglewood said...

Could you go and see and RE at the big clinic just to get a feel? That is probably what I would do. As long as the REs & nurses at the big clinic still have time to answer questions and not make you feel like a pain for asking them, it should be a similar experience.

By the way, thanks for all your links to the articles on your blog.

Carol said...

Very personal decision. But if it was me, I guess I'd at least go check out the other clinic. Maybe get your name in their system and see how long it would take, see how you like the people, etc.

While you might love the people at your clinic, if they're not getting the job done on the donor front, you may have no choice but to go somewhere else.

Lara said...

Hi Jade, tried to leave a comment a few days ago here but had trouble and gave up. THanks for the comment on my blog! Sounds like we're going through similar issues (donor eggs) but thank heaven my RE has an active donor list. I know you're in DC, but I thought I'd mention that my RE takes clients from all over the world (S. Africa, Europe, Mexico and all over the states too). He's pretty inexpensive as far as REs go and my entire cost for donor cycle is going to be $12k. If you're interested in more info from them let me know and I'll be happy to send some to you. Good Luck! PS-Brooke Burke! HO! How can she look so good!!! pps-if your re isn't able to find a donor for you there's no point in being there is there? At our age we can't afford to sit around and wait any longer!!!

Summer said...

I agree with the other comments. Maybe go check it out and see how it feels to you.