Thursday, December 28, 2006

Women's Mood DisOrders

There is some new research on SSRI's and pregnancy
SSRIs and Persistent Pulmonary Hypertension of the Newborn which suggests that it might not be such a good idea to take anti-depressents through out pregnancy.

I was always one of these people who thought the health of the mother was an important factor in pregnancy and weighing that against the unknown side effects to the unborn child seemed to balance out. Now with this new research I am not so sure.

I have been on meds for 13 years and have no idea what I might be like if I went off - it's been too long to remember life before my dopes. My recent bought with depression courtesy of the HRT meds is not a good foreshadowing for how I might fare au natural.

My dope doctor is retiring and he suggested that I go to see a psychopharmacologist who specializes in medication and pregnancy. I've located someone whose expertise is in the "women's lifecycle" which means I can talk to her about pregnancy and menopause all in the same breadth. I'm sure she will find me an interesting case.

I hope we can come up with a reasonable plan. Appointment Jan. 10th.

Stay tuned...
PS - she like everyone else is very expensive and doesn't take insurance.

No comments: