Tuesday, October 31, 2006

IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT: Or What I learned from Good Will Hunting

Remember the scene in Good Will Hunting when Robin Williams (psychiatrist) trys to convince Matt Damon that his crappy childhood is not his fault. I'm thinking I need a similar mantra for all the infertility crap - the early menopause, the not seeking motherhood in my late 20s or early 30s, the fact that when and if I have a baby it will probably be through DE and not have a 'genetic' connection to me - ALL OF IT!!!

Try to play the tape back now, Robin Williams' voice (with thick Bahhston accent) "It's not your fault Will. No really it's not your fault. Listen to me, it's not your fault. It's not your fault."

And just like Will, I still want to rage against the Machine.

But it's not my fault.

1 comment:

Don C. said...

I want to rage against the machine, too. I had a strict upbringing, a psychologically abusive dad, and no one sprang to my defense when I was beaten up at school. I have two decades of mental scars to show for this, but sculpting and animating takes my mind off of it. Not forever, though; it's always in the background. Oh, what I wouldn't give for a psychiatrist like the one in that movie.