Sunday, October 29, 2006

Acupuncture Update or Why I refuse to go quietly into the night

"If we remain obsessed with seeds and eggs,
We are married to the fertile reproductive valley
Of the Mysterious Mother
But not to her immeasurable heart
And all-knowing mind."

Hua Hu Ching



Last night I was re-reading the chapter in the The Infertility Cure
on advanced maternal age. The book, if you haven't read it already is by Randine Lewis and is a great primer on how Traditional Chinese Medicine can be used to treat infertility. I like to re-read things because I can always get something new each time. What struck me was the following, (my paraphrase)"Acupuncture can be used to ease the transition to Menopause but when a pregnancy is still desired it can be used to postpone the transition and promote the proper function of the hormones.

That's me, I don't want to ease the transition, I want keep the menopause wolves at bay for a long as possible. I know some woman see it as the next phase of life and even look forward to it. Here is the TCM view according to my book,

When a woman's reproductive life span nears completion, the energies are transferred from the Uterus to the Heart viao the Penetrating and Conception meridians. A woman moves from a state of procreation (represented by the Kidney system) to a state of wisdom (represented by the Heart).

I guess I am just not ready to accept wisdom...

I went to acupuncture yesterday and we now have a plan - cool the heat, feed the yin - work more on being as opposed to doing. This is sooooo hard for me. I am not a be-er , I am a doer and my whole approach to infertility has been to do as much as possible. Ironically this approach to life in general is what has supposedly lead to this deficiency of kidney yin (aka estrogen production). I must work on shifting my framework in all areas of my life. I was given two different herb combinations to take and I go back again next week.

Must practice breathing...being....calmness......ohm.....

No comments: